- 2 cups cooked Bulgur (this is a grain that cooks just like rice and is available at most grocery stores)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs (2-3 slices of bread)
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup fire roasted tomatoes (fire roasted diced tomatoes add a lot of flavor)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 Tbsps. soy sauce
- 2 tsps. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried sage
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- sea salt, to your taste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 5 x 9 casserole dish or similar baking dish with vegetable spray.
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix with large spoon, or do like I do and use your hands to mix thoroughly. Press into prepared dish. Poke holes all over the top with finger, then spread a thin layer of ketchup over the top with spatula. Bake for 60 minutes. I broil mine for 5 minutes, just to get that browned top.
Helpful Hint– a blender or food processor makes it easy to make bread crumbs. Also great chopping walnuts.
Recipe from Dr.Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes